Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Still Holding On! 12/2/08







Well, we made it through Thanksgiving. I cooked. We usually go to one of the grandparents, but since we have traveled sooooo much lately, we have decided to do all the holidays here at home. This will help Kensley stay healthy and rested.



Family Update: Kensley is weighing in at 15lbs and 7 ozs. and her labs look great. Cooper has suddenly grown 3 inches taller (so all of his pants are floods). Kaydee finally got to change her earrings from the ones that her ears were pierced with. It was a huge day for her. I have lost 3 lbs( depressingly only 47 more to go). J. is on the road most of December. AND, this family has 4 dance performances, one church Christmas pageant, a UIL contest, and to light the Christmas Eve Advent candle at church. Not to mention shopping and baking. I am sure many of you have a similar schedule, and YES, we did it to ourselves by agreeing to all of this. So, I'll be praying for you to make it through with a heart full of Jesus, the real reason for the season. I hope you'll be praying for me.



Central line update: It is still frayed. The surgeon is going to do a repair on it as was requested by Omaha, BUT...NO ONE IN TOWN HAS A REPAIR KIT. I called both hospitals, the PICU, the NICU, the ERs and NO ONE had one. So, J. called the manufacturer of our central line and they gave us the item number, but of course we are not allowed to order one. They said it could be overnighted if ordered by a doctor. Sooooo, I called the surgeon back and ask them to order it. They did, BUT because it had to go through their hospital supply chain, it could not be ordered on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It was supposed to be ordered Wednesday, the 26th and be here by Friday. IT DID NOT ARRIVE. I called Monday (yesterday) and IT HAD NOT ARRIVED. The surgeon's nurse assured me they will call immediately when it comes in. I am not angry about all this, just nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. This central line is sooo critical. It is both a blessing and a threat. Blessing because it allows us to give Kensley the needed vitamins and calories that her body has not adapted to absorb yet, and it allows for painfree blood draws. Threat because they get infected so readily and this could lead to death if not treated immediately. This is why it is so wonderful to be in Omaha. They are so specialized in working with short bowel kids that they do these central line repairs quite frequently. After all, kids will be kids, and they break their central lines through play and normal activity. BUT, we are hoping that we only have 6 and 1/2 more weeks with the central line and then it will be removed taking away that risk of infection. If you have time, pray for this. If it is God's will to get a new line, fine. I just don't want any infections to arise because of breakage and late mail service! I'll be praying for you. Hugs from Heaven, Tana



3 comments:

Crystal said...

3 inches HOLY COW!! Cooper is getting so big! Kaydee is as beautiful as her Mama! I was watching her at choir the other night and I was amazed at how grown up she is getting! She reminds me so much of you! I love the picture of all of you at the table. What a wonderful Thanksgiving. That picture truly shows what Thanksgiving is all about! I am so happy to hear that Kensley is doing so well! She is just the cutest thing I have ever laid eyes on! I can't wait to give her a big hug! You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers!! Love ya lots. Please call me if you need anything or if you want me to bring you lunch sometime!!

MamaMathis said...

Glad you all had a wonderful day! We will pray for God's perfect timing on the mail run as well as with all other things you may be dealing with! :-) It does my heart good to see you at the table with your beautiful kids!!

love, rhonda

Sara said...

Tana, I first want to congratulate you on your precious baby girl. We didn't even know you guys were expecting! J. called Melvin today and briefly told him about Kensley. She is such a beauty just like big sister and brother. We pray special intentions in the morning on the way to school and in the evening at bedtime. Kensley will be at the top of our list. What a wonderful mama you are, Tana, a real inspiration. Mel said J. will be down here for a couple of weeks. We would love to have him come and stay with us. Please take care of yourself, and when feeling overwhelmed trust in the Serenity Prayer.

Love, Sara & Melvin