Tuesday, January 27, 2009

But I Don't Want Manna! 1/27/09

Meeting with Doctor Mercer




Daddy & Kensley




Having Fun in the Snow


Update: Today Kensley weighs 17lbs and 15ozs. She is feeling great and sleeping great, playing and trying desperately to crawl. She is on an even lighter version of TPN that has very little protein and nothing else but fluids. We are working on increasing her NG tube feeding by a ml a day, and working on taking more solids as well as drinking an electrolyte replacement drink through a sippy cup. The appointment in Omaha went great and we hope to have her off TPN by Spring Break when we return to Omaha. There is a strong possibility that she will have her NG tube (a tube that goes through the nostril and into the stomach) will be replaced by a G-tube (a tube that goes directly into the stomach via an incision). Hopefully we will have her central line out by April. This will allow us to have the option of central line fluids during the cold, flu, and stomach virus season(January-March). However, her central line has been in for six months and it is starting to be more difficult to obtain blood draws from it. So, if you have time to remember us in your prayers, pray for the central line to continue to function until we can remove it.

Now for the Manna part. I mentioned in my last BLOG that I have really been expecting a break through or turning point to happen around the time Kensley turns 9 months. Well, this is the story...

While, Kensley and I were in the hospital in July 2008, J. came to relieve me and I went to pray in the Chapel. I prayed for a while and cried for a while and then I heard something. It was a distinct voice, so shocking that I turned around to see who had come into the Chapel, but there was no one there, only me. I was there alone the whole time. AND, I did hear that voice. '9 months' were the words that I heard. I heard them three times. Some of you may not believe that God can speak to you in that way, but I felt the words in my heart also. So, here we are almost at 9 months. Now I don't know if something is supposed to happen now or within the next few weeks, but I just know that it is supposed to happen. Well, while we were in Omaha, the doctors did tell us a very important thing, even a miraculous thing: Kensley should never be a transplant candidate. This is wonderful, but was this the thing that was supposed to happen at 9 months? I should be elated. This wonderful news, because transplants are very dangerous. This should be like manna from Heaven, and it was. Only I did not want manna. I wanted something even more. I guess I really wanted something almost impossible to have, a complete reversal of her condition, or to be like it never even happened. What I wanted was not God's miracle, but my own. It is just like the Israelites who wandered in the desert for 40 years. They cried out to God for food and He gave them manna, but soon they became fickle and said no more manna, we want meat. They were not satisfied with God's miracle and started calling for their own (Exodus, Chapter 16). It sounds pretty selfish doesn't it? To scorn God's miracle? But I understand and all I can say is that I am human and impatient, but that is the way God made me. All I can do is try to do better to wait upon the Lord remembering that His plan is better than my own. Dear Lord, I ask your forgiveness and your help as I try to become the woman you want me to be. Give us all the patience we need to travel this world waiting upon your miracles and not our own. After all, you are the mighty physician and 9 months isn't over yet. Hugs from Heaven, Tana












2 comments:

MamaMathis said...

Your willingness to share your human fears and disappointments are what make you such a "real" inspiration to others! Hang in there! I can't wait to see what great things God has planned for your miracle baby and the rest of your family!

love rhonda

Lori said...

I feel you. I feel every fear, every joy, and every disappointment. Caed is doing SO well right now! Any yet I still find myself sitting back just waiting for the "ball to drop." Waiting for something horribly wrong to happen. However, just last night I caught myself watching Caed eat supper and wonder..."What if the worst IS over?...What if at age 10 people look at him and would never guess he went through this awful ordeal?" And yet I still worry.

I know I have told you guys this before. But, after being there in Omaha and meeting so any SBS families, I was convinced that what the IRP team had been telling us both was in fact true. Caed and Kensley REALLY ARE doing so good! I believe with all my heart that they not only are going to make it....but thrive! They are going to have "normal" childhoods....crazy teenage years....get married....have children of their own....and grow OLD! God has performed miracles in both of them! It's so hard seeing it while you're in the middle of it, but yes..Lord willing neither of them will need that all too common transplant! So many are not as fortunate! We have to remember that. Sure, the healing process seems to go at turtle speed, but at least they are moving forward. They might hit a few bumps in the road, but never the less....they are STILL healing.

I will pray the same for you guys as I do for us: that we would not allow satan to get a foothold and whisper those all too familiar lies of fear and doubt. We have been BLESSED....over and abundantly BLESSED!! May we remember that each and every time we look at our children. The Lord has been gracious to our families and His mercy is GREAT!

I love you guys so much!
Lori