Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hoping and Praying (9/11/08)

Kensley is 9 pounds and 13 ounces today. She is sleeping about 6 hours through the night, which is nice. Her intestines appear to be absorbing all they can, they are just not long enough to get it all. We are blessed that she is so young, because her intestines have the opportunity to grow and compensate more than an older child or adult's would. The adaptation process apparrently takes up to two years, and she may have to have a lengthening surgery. I pray that we avoid surgery. It would be like starting over on feeding her again. You always hear that God will not give you more than you can handle. That saying is not so comforting to me. I have discovered that I can handle more fear and pain and anger and frustration than I ever thought possible, but still we go forward...very slowly. Patience and hope are the hardest test the Lord has ever given me. But what is the choice. I go forward, praying and hoping, and waiting patiently. I read God's word every time I feel myself begin to worry and I get down on my knees when fear overtakes me. And even though there are times when I do not think I can keep this up, God blesses me. I am never lonely. Kensley smiles and laughs and plays. We spend lots of time just playing on the floor, cooing and giggling together. Maybe all the fear and frustration has been worth it. Maybe all the hoping and praying is working. I know it is. Hugs from Heaven, Tana

Prayer requests:
Little Jake is on the transplant list. I was informed that he did not have an infection. It was a false positive on the first blood culture and the second came back negative. He is however having an issue with one side of his heart. He has received a pump on the other side which is keeping him going until a donor heart can be found, but now the other side is swelling. (Please forgive me if these details are not exactly correct. I am getting information second hand, but it is always safe to pray. Afterall the Holy Spirit knows what we should pray before we even begin) So let's pray that his heart is healed. God is the God of miracles. Let's pray for that miracle and expect it to happen. God is that big! This little baby boy needs a chance to live and love and grow. Pray with me that God heals his little heart so he can be a testimony for the Glory of God through the His son Jesus Christ. Continue to pray for Caed and his whole family as they begin their stay here in Nebraska, that they may find the answers and the healing that God has planned for Caed. Please pray for Kensley to continue to thrive and avoid all infections and illnesses during this critical first year. Pray that her intestines grow longer and adapt and absorb all she needs to grow and thrive. AND thank God. Thank him that we all get to pray together through this blog and that He has seen fit to give us smiling happy babies, blue skies, green grass, people to love, puppies to pet, etc. etc. May God bless each of you.

4 comments:

Happy Go Lucky said...

Tana,
I begin each morning reading your blog...what a way to start my day. You and yours continue to be in our prayers daily!!
With love,
Bennie

Melissa B said...

I too have begun checking in on you guys every day to see how you are. I have read Caed's blog since day one and it is just a part of life (sadly) now and I guess your's will be as well. I do not know you but I know prayers from anywhere and everywhere help!! I am so glad to hear Kensley is starting to absorb and pray she continues and grows and thrives!! God Bless!

Kelby Cowley said...

Hello, Tana. My name is Kelby Cowley. I am Jake Cowley's dad. Mandy and I would like to thank you for all the prayers for Jake.

I will give you an update. Jake is still at Texas Childrens in Houston. He is on the transplant list. He had a Berlin Pump installed last week and is doing very good. He is sitting up in bed and eating and drinking a lot. He has already gained a lot of weight. His heart is doing great and the pump takes most of the pressure off to give him some relief. He was running a fever but they finnaly concluded that he had no infection and that it was just a reaction to the foreign pump in his body. We have seen God work miracles on Jake's body and through the doctors hands. It is a miracle that he is alive and we feel so blessed to havde these miracles take place.

Mandy is staying in Houston with Jake and I am staying in Amarillo to take care of customers and keep Sunny in a routine of going to PreSchool. She is in Arbor Academy and really likes going to school. Jake will be in Houston for one month in the hospital after the transplant and then needs to be close to Texas Childrens Hospital for three months after release. So Sunny and I will be making a lot of trips to Houston over the next 4 to 6 months. Have are so fortunate that my mom and Mandy's mother have given up there jobs to help with Sunny and Jake. I do not think it was very difficult for them to give up there jobs in order to spend more time with there grandkids.

One thing that has helped both Mandy and I get through a lot of this inconvenience is keeping in mind that there are always others out there who are in worse situations than ourselves. We have so many people who have prayed with us and for us and we have some wonderful friends who have been through much worse situations. They all remind us that this is not a problem, it is just an inconvenience and we will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mandy and I read a lot of scripture and pray a tremendous amount. I read Psalms 91 over and over again and get a lot of comfort from reading as many passages as possible.

We would like to thank you for all the prayers. If there is anything you need please contact us or tell J to call anytime.

Kelby, Mandy, and Sunny

Joy said...

Hi Tana, I learned about your blog yesterday and was so happy to have a chance to have all the news about you and Kensley. I did leave a message on Blessed Sunday yesterday, but thought I left it on this page. Oops! Thinking and praying for you today and hope the weekend is restful. Love, Joy