Thursday, September 4, 2008

Kensley, We're Not in Lubbock Anymore

Kensley and I are here in the apartment. It is very strange to be here. I thought I had given up the apartment life when I graduated from Texas A&M. I guess not! Kensley is doing well. She gained 2 more ounces OVERNIGHT! AGAIN! She has been doing this for about a week now. I was a little nervous about the tremendous weight gain, but the doctors are OK with it and they desperately want her back on the growth chart. Well, growth chart here we come. If all goes well, Kensley will be 10 pounds by next week. She has already grown another inch and her head circumference is 39 and 1/2 cms. She has more energy, and she is playing and laughing. Her mental development seems to be right on track, but now the work begins. The goal of the IRP(intestinal Rehab Program) is to get Kensley self sufficient with out causing any additional harm to her liver or other organs. So we have to get off of the TPN(intravenous nutrition) and be able to orally take in enough nutrients and fluids to maintain growth and her daily needs. This is a long process. The month that we will be staying in Nebraska is only the first step in a process that will last for YEARS, but if we can be blessed with no infections or major complications, we will look at Kensley in her kindergarten class and not be able to tell the difference between her and all her classmates. Oh how I pray for that day. Kensley has been such a blessing to our life, as are Kaydee and Cooper, but as I listened to Sarah Palin last night as she said "special children bring special love to your family" I felt the special love she is talking about. It isn't that we love Kensley more. It is just that even with all of the complications of her short life my love is not diminished or compromised in any way. It is unconditional. I supposed that parents of teenager feel the same way when they deal with teenage angst. No matter how many headaches they give you, you love and cherish them anyway. I guess God has blessed me with this lesson sooner that I expected. I hope I remember that when Kensley is 16! I hope we get to see Kensley at 16. I know that all of the sacrifices we are making will be worth it. I have been rather bored today, so I watched TV and was blessed to see a special on the life of Mother Teresa. Wow! Any one who believes woman should not preach, is a person who does not know what preaching means. Everyday of this small woman's life was a sermon, she just never used words. She served and loved others well and so much. She was Jesus' hands and feet on earth. So be faithful and go out there and preach preach preach to everyone who meets you. Use words only as a last resort! I am here in Omaha, remaining faithful that God will heal little Kensley and every day I feel Jesus picking me up and carrying me through another day. I hope that preaches because I haven't any other words to say. I will keep each of you my prayers. Even though my prayer list is long, there is always room for more. Pray without ceasing!
Hugs from Heaven, Tana

Prayer requests:
Father God, please continue to lengthen Kensley's intestine and heal her system to absorb all the nutrients that she needs. Protect Kaydee and Cooper from evil and from harm. Give them strength to make the right choices and to always trust in You and carry Jesus with them in everything they do. Amen

11 comments:

MamaMathis said...

Your family continues to be such a blessing and encouragement to all of us! Morgan (age 9) just asked me if we had a new Kensley update. I can't wait to share the progress with her, and let her know she can now check the blog any time she wants! Philemon 4-7 will be my "Faithful and Free" prayer for you this week! We love you! Rhonda, Clay, Morgan, Miles, and Amy Kaye Mathis

Robin said...

Tana,
We are so pleased that little Kensley is beginning to thrive. We will continue to pray for your entire family as you go through this difficult time away from one another.
I know that when Kate was little and needed to be isolated to avoid infection, I felt very alone at times. Would you like to do a bible study together, or maybe a "book club"?
Let me know, it might help pass the time so you don't have to rely on brain damaging daytime TV!!hahaha
We all love you and miss you, and Tom said to tell you he really missed seeing you at church, and is praying for you.
Our love,
Robin

Crystal said...

Oh Tana, I love you guys sooo much! I think of you and pray for your entire family on a day to day basis! I miss seeing your beautiful smile and having our little chats! It has been so hard not having you around! I love the blog! Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with us!! Love ya lots! Give our angel baby a kiss for me!!

D'dee said...

Hey girlie! I miss y'all soooo much and can't stand that we haven't been able to be there for you. I'm glad you're doing the blog because after our scary summer, I completely understand the frustration with trying to connect with everyone who loves and cares about ya and keep them updated, so my prayer is that this blog will help you to prevent repeating yourself so much and give you a breather. Please know all you have to do is ask if there's anything we can do from here...even watch over J's parent's house if they have to come be with you...just say the word. It's tough right now to see "real" light at the end of the tunnel, but I speak from experience when I tell you that HE will not give you more than you can handle and the tough times will make us stronger in the end. We all seem to be on the mend for the most part...still future surgeries for Glen and close watch on Kynli's kidneys right now, but again, we see "light" just like you. So hang in there and appreciate every little TV break you get-haha! Love you, love you, love you! (and J too, I guess-ha!) Tell Kaydee "hi" from Tanner and happy upcoming BD! He misses seeing her. You're always in our prayers!!!!! Hugs and kisses, D'dee (Glen, Tanner & Kynli too)

Lori said...

We're packing.....see ya in a few days!

We love you guys and are so thankful the Lord allowed our paths to cross.

Mitzi said...

Tana,
I guess you will be our bedtime story from now on! Thanks for keeping us up on Kensley. We all think about her and pray for her every day-many times a day. Joy asked me today what size Kensley wears. I think at this rate it will be hard to tell. I am so happy things are looking up. It has been a long dark summer. You have always been a wonderful Christian roll model to my girls. Your love of Kensley and your faith in God has strengthened all of our faith. I have the wonderful Friends frame you gave me with our picture in it right by my computer. I miss you and can't wait for you to come home. Give our sweet little baby a kiss from all of us! Mitzi and Girls (Bruce ,too!)

Melissa B said...

I read about you through Caed's blog and felt lead to read yours now. Again I feel blessed to be able to see such faith in God and grace through a faithful parent going through such hard times. I will say a prayer for you guys along with Caed!! Good Luck!!

Melissa Ballard - Aubrey, Texas

Laurie said...

Tana,
Everyone will be so pleased to hear how Kensley is doing. I have my family and their church praying in Mesquite for all of you, as well as close friends here in Lubbock. We are lifting you up in prayer daily!
I firmly believe that God gives special children like Kensley and our Justin to special families. I'm not trying to say that I think I am any better than anyone else, but for Justin, I know we were the right family, just like Kensley has a very special family in all of you. My mom likes to say that God chose me to be Justin's mom because he knew Justin would need someone to fight for his health and special needs and champion his goals. I certainly know how to do that! You get to do the same for Kensley. I say "get to" instead of "have to" because the blessings you receive from your child far outweigh the struggles you have with the challenges facing you. It's not an easy road, but it is the best road!
I don't know if you've heard of "Cherubs" before or not, but it is a group devoted to the support of families who are going through struggles related to diaghragmatic hernias. I found them before Justin was even born because we knew 3 1/2 months before he was born what we were facing. When I found them, they didn't even have a web-site yet (1996), but now they have a great site: www.cdhsupport.org.
I'm with Robin, if you need a way to pass the time that's better than watching t.v. maybe a blog group is a good idea!
We miss your entire family and can't wait to see you all again. Take care of yourself as well as Kensley!
We love you guys!!
Laurie, Todd, Justin, Connor, & Sawyer Williams

Cindy said...

Tana,
Kenan and Jan have been keeping me updated on Kensley and what has been going on this summer. You have been in my prayers and thoughts. I am glad that things are improving. I hope things continue to go really well in Nebraska and you are back home really soon. God is good and will hold you in the palm of His hand through the daily journey you are on.
Love you,
Cindy McCullough

Denise P said...

Tana,
I will make checking your blog as part of my morning ritual, and will continue to pray for Kensley to have miraculous progress and to have the Free family reunited very soon. God Bless!
Denise Prose

Lynsey said...

Tana,
I am so glad to hear that you and Kensley are in Oklahoma safely. I know that it must take a great deal of strength for you to be able to get through everything with a smile on your face! Its a good thing that God is that strength. You guys are in my prayers!
-Lynsey Flournoy