Wednesday, September 17, 2008

You are not alone! 9-17-08

Have you ever heard the phrase "Bible Thumper"? I am not sure what exactly is meant by the phrase, but here is how I interpret. When ever I am feeling a little lost or confused or angry or frustrated, I simply pray "God please speak to me through your word" and then I flip through the pages of one of my Bibles and let some thing draw my attention. The verses I am drawn to always seem to speak to me of a need. I feel like I've been thumped on the head like a V8 commercial. Well, if you read yesterday's Blog you will know that I was feeling restless and anxious yesterday. Here is where I was led, 2 Kings 4:8-37 and 8:1-6. I am reading out of the Women of Faith Study Bible NIV(best $25 I ever spent at Wal-mart). Well this story is about the Woman of Shunem. We never learn her name, but most of us could just fill in our name and it would make perfect sense. She has been disappointed in life because she is barren. She is wealthy enough, she is generous and kind, living a good life, BUT because of disappointment she feels that she can trust no one but herself. A real do-it-yourself-er, a gal after my own heart! Let's face it moms, we have been let down a few times so we just stop expecting people to help us. And sometimes we feel let down by God. He didn't answer our pray or immediately fulfill our need, so we decide to do it our self, depend on our own abilities, and stop needing others, stop needing God. Well, for all of you who have tried this, I have one question..."How's that working for ya?" It all boils down to faith and sometimes our faith alone is not enough. This is a lesson that I live with everyday. Kensley's life, her condition, is out of my control. There is nothing I can do that will make it go away. She will not escape this without the constant reminder of the frightening start she had in life (a five inch scar will always stretch across her abdomen) and she may have certain health challenges for the rest of her life. Her life is in constant danger because of the central line that allows her to receive intravenous nutrition. BUT, God gave her back to J. and I. Just before her third surgery we prayed to God telling him that we understood that she was His child first. He is in control, and we would abide by His will. Well, I guess I have to give Him control everyday, because I try to take it back everyday. It really is about trust and faith. The Shenum woman had probably prayed for a baby, but she never had one. Yet she remained kind and generous. She provided for Elisha the prophet, giving him a place to stay and food. In return Elisha asks what she needs. She says nothing because she doesn't want to expect any help from anyone. Then Elisha offers to pray for a child for her. She tells Elisha not to get her hopes up because she does not believe that God will help her. Her faith was not enough. Thankfully Elisha's was and she had a son the next year. Sometimes our faith is not enough and we need the faith and prayers of all the people who love and support us. POINT: Thank you for loving and supporting Kensley and I with your faith and prayers. I know that sometimes my faith has not been enough and your prayers and faith have held us up and seen us through. Kensley is proof of that! By the way, she tried her first bites of rice cereal. Wow! God is great. Thanks be to God and too all of you. Hugs from Heaven, Tana
Prayer requests:
Southeast Texas Residence as they recover from Hurricane Ike.
Caed as he continues to fight the battle of SBS. Jake who continues to be strong in his wait for a heart transplant. I would also ask each of you to pray for your churches and pastors. And, our country as we go into the election. May God guide the leaders of our great nation, present and future.

4 comments:

Melissa B said...

Well Said!!

Hope you guys are doing well. We are headed to church - have a good night.

Mitzi said...

Dear Ms. Tana,
I am glad Kensley is doing better! I can't wait until I get to see her and hold her. Tell Kaydee Happy Birthday and tell her I miss her alot. I miss you too Miss Tana!
Please come home soon!
Love, Hannah

MamaMathis said...

Well, I had to laugh at the absurdity of me mentioning overwhelming moments to you, especially with my own schooling, which is somewhat like having pains from an elective surgery!:-) As I do the dishes, clean up three-year-old messes, wash clothes, do homework with my older kiddos, and clean toilets and bathtubs, I will remember the sweet picture of Kensley. I will also remind myself what a blessing each of these things are, and remember what you would give to be doing them in Lubbock at that very moment! God is using you to give me perspective and joy in ALL things. Share this website with Kaydee www.growingingraceonline.com and send birthday wishes as well. I think she will love the site! Blessings and Prayers!

Rhonda Mathis

D'dee said...

Checkin on ya today. LOVE THE PICS!!! Thanks for adding them! Be thankful that you have reruns to watch...we are STILL stuck with 24/7 Ike news here. It's crazy, you can't imagine how much it has consumed our lives, but we are blessed and made it through and you guys will make it through this tough time too. Suggestion for the day: When giving Kensley bites of cereal, imagine that it is mexican food (see it, smell it, taste it) then get yourself a big ole bite yourself and that should no doubt cure your problem with eating out and having TV Dinners! No need to call and thank me for that advice, I know you're laughing right now! Love you much! Kisses!